F.A.Q. "Frequently Asked Questions".  This page contains answers to common questions  handled by our support staff.

Why setup my home base in EMERY, SD(HANSON COUNTY)?

South Dakota has a lower tax burden compared to other states.  

South Dakota DOES NOT ask for vehicle inspection of any kind or a vehicle emission test. Owners are responsible for safe operating conditions of your vehicles.

What are the SD tax burdens and advantages?

South Dakota has No state income tax (this includes earned income, pensions, military retirement, dividends, interest, etc.)

South Dakota has NO state inheritance tax.

South Dakota levies a LOW 4% excise tax on the purchase of vehicles including recreational units.  You do not pay this tax if you already paid tax in another state.

South Dakota DOES NOT impose a personal property tax on vehicles.

How should I compare the Mail Forwarding Services from other States?

Price - features - state residency advantages - friendly yet professional
group, We are a firm that has considered the legal aspects of all transactions
and can assure you that things are done correctly.

How do I become a Emery, SD resident?

First you get your South Dakota resident address from My Home Address,Inc. by
completing the My Home Address, Inc Service Agreement & Application for Delivery of Mail Through Agent (PS Form 1583.)  
Your new physical street address qualifies for your South Dakota
Vehicle Registrations, South Dakota drivers license, and  South Dakota voter
registration.  For assistance please contact our office at
1-605-449-4499, 1-888-494-4499, or

Do I need to travel to South Dakota to become a resident?

NO!!!! You can establish your address and register your vehicle through the mail, 
but you will need to travel to South Dakota to obtain your driver's license.

How much does it cost to license my vehicle or RV South Dakota?

South Dakota bases your fees on the weight and age of the vehicle or RV. 
You can determine the exact registration fee for your vehicle by visiting
the SD Department of Motor Vehicles (SD-DMV) atwww.state.sd.us/drr2/motorvehicle/title/register.htm.  or by calling us toll-free or E-Mailing us.   

What paperwork is required to register my vehicle in South Dakota?  

1.      Application for Motor Vehicle and Registration – We can help you obtain and complete this form,   

2.      An original Title or Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin (if new) properly transferred to the applicant.

3.      A Bill of Sale, purchase order or sales contract – will be used to determine the 4% excise tax and or proof of sales tax already paid.  If at least a 4% tax has been paid to another state it is not collected again.

4.      Vehicle weight– South Dakota license fees are determined by the empty (shipping or dry) weight and year of the vehicle.  We need to provide verification of the empty weight for all recreational vehicles.

5.      A copy of your current driver’s license.

6.      The current odometer reading (if applicable) for each vehicle and color of each vehicle.

7.      The type of fuel of the vehicle (if applicable).

8.      A signed and notarized affidavit in support of Non-residency.  This is required if you do not have a South Dakota driver's license.

What is the cost of a South Dakota Driver's License?

Driver License or ID Card - New or Renewal - $28.00
Commercial Driver License - New or Renewal - $50.00
Commercial Driver License Endorsement Tests - $10.00 each test
Duplicate Driver License or ID - $10.00
Reinstatement Fees - $50 to $200

How do I get a South Dakota driver's license?

1. You will need ONE Identity Document.

  • Certified U.S. birth certificate issued by State or County(hospital birth certificates are not acceptable)
  • Valid unexpired U.S. passport(always use the passport if you have one)
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Valid unexpired permanent resident card
  • Valid unexpired employment authorization document
  • Foreign passport with valid unexpired U.S. Visa with I-94


2. You will need ONE document to prove Social Security number. 

  • Social Security Card
  • W-2 Form
  • SSA 1099 Form
  • Non-SSA 1099 Form
  • Pay stub(must include name and social security number)

3. You will need TWO documents to prove your residential address here in South Dakota. 

  • You will need to provide one document proving your temporary South Dakota address ( a campground or RV park receipt no more the one year old).
  • You will need to provide one document proving your personal mailbox (PMB) service address. ( a statement from My Home Address, Inc. will work).